Saturday, November 24, 2012

Well today is Saturday, November 24. This means I have been in Switzerland for exactually 3 months now. It really is unbelievable how fast the time is going. I still cannot believe that I am actually here. Like I never had this "culture shock" feeling everyone told me I was bound to have. Maybe this will only happen at the end of my stay. No idea. As for now, When I came here I was not sure sure why I have chosen to come here. But I think it was just meant to be. When I first came here I could speak very very little german. I think the only thing I could say was im hungry, Im sick or im tired. Now, I can have a full conversation like about politics or anything. Also, when I first came here I had absolutely no background of swiss german. So of course I was completely confused all the time when some spoke to me in swiss german. But now I can understand a good aount of conversations or at least the main idea of what their talking about. My friends are telling me that I am making great progress. Lets hope their right lol.
So last week I went to Larissa's house. She is another american exchange student here in Switzerland. We went to Luzern to meet with Haley, she is also an exchange student from america. This was an amazing day, we got to see alot of touristic things. Like the lion statue and the famous bridge. We also did a little chirstmas shopping. This was a great day, just to spend time together because we can all relate to each others current situations.
Okay so so far im really happy that I had even the oppertunity to come here. But, lately it's getting a bit hard to be away from my family. I mean I know the first few months are the hardest. When things slow down and you have time to think then all the thoughts of how much you miss your family come to mind. On thursday it was Thanksgiving. The first holdiay I have ever been away from my family. Can you imagine how hard that was? And of course there is no such thing as thanksgiving in switzerland so not being able to celbrate a holiday I have celebrated for all 16 years of my life. It was a hard day, a few tears, and not being able to concentrate in school. But hey I made it through the day. And I know I am strong enough celebrate the next few holidays without my family. I know that they are here in spirit and that it will have next year to be with them for the holidays. Because it was thanksgiving, I have to say what I am thankful for. I am so so so thankful that I have an amazing family that is supporting me through my journey this year, a sister who is my best friend, amazing friends, host family, and the oppertunity to come here and let my dreams come true. And most importantly im so thankful for my Lord helping me and guiding me wherever and whatever I do in my life.
Now, I have to go becuase I have to get ready for an AFS event tonight. All of the exchange students in the kanton St.Gallen are going to the city to watch a movie and eat pizza.
Love, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment